Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Q: How do I receive my grant money?
    A: If you have completed a direct deposit form and attached a voided check, your check will be deposited. Otherwise the check is sent to the address you specified on your 204 Form. This can be either your campus mailstop or your home address.
  2. Q: Can I use copies of my receipts? 
    A: No. You MUST SUBMIT ORIGINALS of your receipts. We recommend that you make photocopies for your own records. 
  3. Q: What receipts do I need from a hotel? 
    A: You must submit an ITEMIZED receipt from a hotel because non-itemized hotel receipts may include charges that are not reimbursable, such as phone calls or food.
  4. Q: What should I submit if I bought my plane ticket electronically? 
    A: Print out an itemized email receipt and include this with your post travel form. This must include your name, a detailed itinerary showing all legs of the trip, the cost and proof of payment. If this does not include the cost or proof of payment then you must include a bank or credit card statement. Otherwise we do not need a bank statement. We also do not need your boarding pass.
  5. Q: What if my credit card number appears on my original receipts? 
    A: Please cross out all but the last 4 digits.
  6. Q: What if both my department and the GSA have given me some money and they both require original receipts? 
    A: You can have both your department and the GSA treasurer sign on the same post-travel form so that you submit only one post-travel form and one set of receipts. You CANNOT submit twice for the same expenses. We highly recommend coming to a Q&A session so we can assist with this process.
  7. Q: I already filled out a 204 form last year (quarter, month, etc.). Do I need to fill out another one? 
    A: Yes. We highly recommend you complete a new 204 form unless you filled one out for TAing or for being a GSA rep THIS school year. Otherwise you run the risk of the FAST office failing to pay you.
  8. Q: How do I get reimbursed for mileage on my personal vehicle? 
    A: If you just made one roundtrip to and from a single destination, all you need to do is enter the number of miles traveled on the Post-Travel Form and convert the miles to the current reimbursement rate (listed on the Post-Travel Form). You must also attach a Google map showing the miles traveled. The number of miles on the map must match the number on the Post-Travel form. If your trip involved multiple destinations, you must fill out a mileage log listing the number of miles traveled and your car license number, and enter these numbers on the Post-Travel Form. Gas receipts are not necessary and will not be reimbursed. You MUST include original receipts for parking and bridge tolls.
  9. Q: What additional paperwork should I submit if I am an international student or permanent resident? 
    A: International students and permanent residents must fill out the form: Certification of Citizenship and VISA Status and attach proof of VISA or permanent residency.
  10. Q: My application wasn’t prioritized because I am receiving funding from another source. Why is this happening now, when all complete applications have been funded before?
    A: In the past, applications have occasionally been prioritized on the basis of whether they had received prior GSA funding. In Spring 2015 we received a record number of travel grant applications -- at least 25-30 more applications than we had ever received in a single quarter. The GSA E-Board revisited our prioritization criteria and chose to fund all applicants who were receiving less than $500 of other funding. The Grad Division recently agreed to give us additional funding for the 2015-16 school year. We will be back-funding applications from Fall 2015 as well as changing the way we distribute grants so that everyone who applies correctly should receive something, even if it is not the maximum amount.
  11. Q: Who reads and processes the travel grant applications? 
    A: The travel grant committee is part of the Graduate Student Association (GSA). Each department elects a representative to the GSA, some of whom are then elected to the travel grant committee. After being evaluated by the travel grant committee, all approved applications are sent to the GSA treasurer. The GSA treasurer signs your Post-Travel form and send it on to the university FAST office. The actual check cutting is done by a staff member in the FAST office. The GSA Travel Grant Committee is made up of graduate students - just like yourself. So if there's a delay, please remember that we, too, have midterms, qualifying exams, conferences, and other commitments. If you're interested in serving on the travel grant committee, please come to the next GSA meeting.
  12. Q: I received an email saying that my application had been sent off for check cutting, and it has been over 6 weeks and I have not received a check. What happened? 
    A: One of several things may have happened:
    - You moved and did not update your address. 
    - You deposited it and forgot about it. Sounds silly? Yes, but it's happened before.
    - We find that the FAST office doesn't often lose checks, but after you've triple checked your records to make sure it's not your fault, you can email
  13. Q:  Can I apply for multiple years’ worth of funding at once?
    : No. Nor can you apply for multiple trips in a single application.
  14. Q: If someone is applying for travel completed in 2012 couldn’t they also apply for travel completed in 2014 since it applies by year?
    A: No. The one travel grant per academic year rule still applies, so you can be reimbursed for travel from 2012, but must wait another academic year to apply for funding for the 2014 travel.
  15. Q: Why do you cap the grants at $500?
    A: In the past, the GSA Travel Grants granted funding to everyone with a completed application by adding the sum total of funds requested and dividing it by our budget. This led to really disparate travel grant amounts commensurate with the number of applicants and the amounts requested each quarter. By capping the grants at $500, we can ensure that all applicants approved for the grant can get the same amount. We are currently seeking additional funding for the program and we may increase the maximum award in the future.
  16. Q: Can I apply for travel I haven’t completed yet?
    A: No. All travel must be completed and documented before applying for reimbursement.
  17. Q: Do I need to attend a workshop to apply for a grant?
    A: No, but it is highly recommended that you do attend, to ensure that your paperwork is filled out correctly.
  18. Q: Will you have all the forms ready and printed out for me when I attend the Research and Travel Grants workshop?
    A: No. While there may be one sample packet used for demonstration purposes, you are required to come prepared with your own application materials. You can use your own account to print materials on the Grad Student Commons computers. We also can not print out receipts for you.
  19. Q: Can I submit my research and travel grant application late if I have travel just after the deadline?
    A: No. You will have to wait for the following grant cycle to submit your application.